18 Mar How do you find your Power during times of great Uncertainty?
Covid-19 has thrown our lives into chaos. There is warranted fear of getting the virus, upheavals from routine, work and financial insecurity, global economic instability, shortages of critical supplies etc. Added to all of this is the stress of not knowing how long this will last. So, my question is: Is there an antidote to this Anxiety? And how do you find your power during times of great Uncertainty?
To be sure, not all kinds Uncertainty is troubling. Spontaneity, stepping into the unknown and trying something new, pleasant surprises, all of these can be beautiful, life enriching experiences. However, the long term fear and uncertainty arising from Covid-19 can have serious consequences to your mental and emotional health.
In general, what makes Anxiety so debilitating is the feeling of being powerless, an overwhelming sense that you’re not safe and you don’t have control over the perceived threat to your well-being. The good news is that there’s something you can do about it.
If feeling Powerless leads to Anxiety, the antidote to Anxiety has to be, to get your power back. This will require Action. Taking Action is at the polar opposite end of Powerlessness.
Here are some actions you can take to mitigate the feelings of Powerlessness and Anxiety during this time:
- Create Order out of Chaos You need structure! Your daily routines have been upended. Create a new operational structure within which you conduct your daily life. To do so, establish what has to get done and by when. Be aware that your priorities may have changed. Eliminate all unnecessary activities, deal only with the things that absolutely have to get done. Be flexible in your thinking. Be open to doing things in new ways. Ask for help.
- Knowledge is power Invest time in acquiring reliable information with which you can make informed decisions. Be sure to avoid marinading yourself in hours of negative newscasts. Get a quick update, then turn the news source off. Be very attentive to the quality of information you’re feeding your brain.
- Take Care of Yourself Again, knowledge is power. Invest time in researching the many things that are available that can boost your immune system, support your mental health and keep you physically healthy and strong. There are very reliable sources of information online if you know where to look. Some excellent resources are: Dr. Josh Axe, Dr. Joseph Mercola and Dr. Mark Hyman. Work with a reputable Naturopath, Doctor or Health Care Practitioner who can guide you through this time. Create a Daily Practice that connects you to something greater than yourself, reduces stress, and keeps you centered, grounded and balanced.
- Use Common Sense These are unusual times. You can’t do things as you normally would so, be smart. Use your head, plan, think things through and in doing so, avoid the missteps that lead to unnecessary chaos, trauma and loss.
- Happiness is a choice! Now that you have your structure in place, you’re equipped with solid information, you’re doing everything possible to keep you and your family healthy, and you’re minimizing additional chaos, find Joy! Embrace the change of routine! Find the joy in trying new things, or getting things done in novel ways. Reach out and help others. Find opportunities to make new connections. Get creative: spot a need and find a way to fill it. Who knows, it could lead to a great new business idea!!
While there are still elements of Covid-19 that are outside of your control, these 5 steps, will go a long way to tipping the balance in your favour and helping you find your power during a time of Uncertainty.
Be safe, be well and embrace Life!
You may be interested in these Posts
Thank you for taking time to read this post! The right information at the right time is a most powerful catalyst for change. For Coaching, Workshops or an Inspiring Talk on this valuable topic, please call me.
(c) Titans International Inc. Kristina Jansz 2019, 2020