03 Oct Protect Yourself from Negativity
One has only to take a brief glance at the daily headlines to get a sense of how much negativity surrounds us. It’s in the air, in the Collective Consciousness, and coming from every electronic device we have. With so much fear, frustration and angst out there, it’s no wonder that you feel drained of energy, your mood is low and you don’t feel motivated. This is multiplied for people who are very sensitive and Empathic, and even typically energetic, positive people are feeling the effects of what is happening in our world. So, the question is: Is there anything you can to do protect yourself from all this negativity? The answer is: Yes.
First: Have a Strong Foundation
Don’t skip over this step! If you haven’t already done so, I strongly recommend that you establish a Daily Practice, one which keeps you physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually balanced, and your energy resources replenished. It’s no different to making sure the foundation of your house is solid before building on it. So, this is a critically important place to begin.
By having a Daily Practice that grounds you in a place of balance in the morning, gives you a reset time during the day, and allows you to de-stress at the end of your day, you will be doing so much to care for yourself.
IMPORTANT: Your Daily Practice doesn’t have to take a lot of time. It just has to be effective. Invest a little effort into discovering which components work best for you and then determine which ones are accessible. By that I mean, there’s no point in coming up with a Daily Practice that looks good on paper but is impossible to make work given the demands of your day/week. For you to draw maximum benefit from your Daily Practice it has to fit into your life and be tenable when unexpected occurrences arise.
Here are some of the activities you may want to include in your Daily Practice:
- Breathing to reduce stress: Conscious Breathing, Alternate Nostril Breathing etc. Check with your healthcare practitioner to find out what is best for you.
- Meditation, Active Meditation, practice Being Still
- Vagal Movement/Exercises, Yoga, Stretching
- Gym/working out, running, dance, high energy movement
- Zen drawing, painting, anything creative
- Writing, contemplative reading
- Anything that aligns with providing a spiritually meaningful connection for you
- Being in Nature
- Conscious Nutrition and Mindful Eating
- Listening to sounds/music that calm the mind
With your Daily Practice in place, you’ll definitely be in a better position to deal with negativity, however it can still be challenging. So, here are some other things that can help:
Care for yourself:
- Make your well-being a priority!
- Turn off the news and low vibrational negative programming
- Do not rent space in your mind, heart, body or energy field to things that lower your vibration
- Limit or eliminate engaging in negative, energy draining, self-sabotaging behaviours i.e substances, negative self-talk
- Don’t overbook yourself
- Build in periods of rest
- Turn off the electronics and shut the world out for a while, and everyday if possible
- Do what you need to do to feel centered, anchored, grounded
- Focus on solutions, not problems
- Check in with yourself throughout the day to make sure you’re feeling emotionally balanced
- Let go of the things that have not served you well
- Seal your energy field: In the same way that you would close a window to stop rain and debris from blowing into your room during a storm, visualize ‘closing the window’ in your energy field so you are protected from the chaos around you. For example: you’re in a meeting/conversation at work and the tone is very negative, but you can’t leave. Close the window. You’ll still be physically present in the interaction, but the negativity will be shut out.
- Visualize a shimmering white sphere if light (egg shape) all around you, and place the Intention in it that only Love, and that which is for your highest good, can pass through it and reach you
- Smudge, or use any spiritual practice that it meaningful to you, to remove negativity that is clinging to you
- Water therapy: shower/bathe, visualize the water as pure white light cleansing your energy field
- Be in Nature
- Train your Brain to focus on positive things that elevate your emotions. The more you do this, the easier it will be to stay in a positive mindset.
- Practice Gratitude throughout the day to keep your vibration ‘clean’ and of a high frequency. It has been scientifically proven that Gratitude improves your mental, emotional and physical. Think of Gratitude as an ‘energy vitamin pill’ that shores up your defences to negativity.
- Vibrate at a frequency that is higher than the negativity around you. You can do this by doing things that bring you joy: engage in a creative endeavour, practice your spirituality etc.
- HOLD THE VISION of the world you want to live in. Believe in it. Breathe it and Embody it!
When around others:
- Manage your expectations
- Limit or eliminate your time with negative people. Remove yourself from people and places that are negative, draining, aggressive and disrespectful
- Avoid crowds
- Have Boundaries and enforce them
- Know your limits. If necessary, leave early. End the call/text that is negative and lowering your energy
- Give yourself permission to think things over before committing to them
- Be aware of doing things out of a knee-jerk sense of obligation. Ask yourself if there’s another way. Find another way.
- Invest your emotional energy wisely: Be very conscious of what you give your attention to, stay out of conversations and conflicts that are going to drain you
- Know that it’s okay to say No
- Don’t take on what isn’t yours! Don’t feed other people’s drama and chaos
- EMIT rather than absorb. Turn up the volume on the energy you want to feel and send it out in all direction from you, rather than absorbing the negativity around you
- Use your Daily Practice to stay Balanced. When you start feeling negative energy, ask yourself “Is this mine?” If the answer is ‘No”, shut it out immediately.
There is so much you can do to keep your energy field clean and of a high vibration. Use the above suggestions as a launching pad to finding out what works best for you. Develop an ironclad Daily Practice, have rock solid Boundaries in place and prioritize protecting your energy.
1. Learn more about your Vagus Nerve! Jen Mann is a Nervous System Practitioner and has wonderful information and exercises on this topic.
3. Yoga Basics has a post with: 24 ways to clear negative energy from your Body and Home
You may be interested in these Posts and Services I offer!
Thank you for taking time to read this post! The right information at the right time is a most powerful catalyst for change. For Coaching, Workshops or an Inspiring Talk on this valuable topic, contact me!
(c) Titans International Inc. Kristina Jansz 2019, 2020-2050